If your mean that you internal clients are set up using the original DNS
servers, then as long as those servers remain in service tose settings
should work. It may be that you ISP is(was) actually contracting the DNS
servers and has changed to a different service, or established their own
servers.

If the ISP changed services, or set up their own servers, they are problably
now configuring your internet box you use these new servers. That shouldn't
make too much of a difference to your internal machines.

But, we still can't help with your configuration without a description of
what you have.

--Greg

> my reason for wanting to stop IPchains was that I get a screen full of
error
> messages and then boot freezes, unless I use the "I" option when Mandrake
> asks at the start of "interactive startup" I have not ever changed the dns
> numbers from the ones my ISP gave me years ago, and they work on all the
> other machines around here. I wonder what file would be changing this
> setting?

Vous avez un site perso ?
2 millions de francs à gagner sur i(france) !
Webmasters : ZE CONCOURS ! http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/concours.emailif