It is kind of wierd the way that it hangs up after the music or after the
first turn ends in my case.  I can then ctrl-alt-backspace and start the
game again without sound (apparently the sound device is busy) and it won't
hang up at all.   Well, at least for 20 minutes or so.  At any rate, I tried
playing with a couple of different settings.  Try the following and see what
results you guys get ....

at a terminal try

esd              (this should make  a r2d2 like sound)
ctrl - c
then start the game ....  I no longer have the hang up but I'm missing some
of the sound ... or so it seems

you might also want to try

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=esd

Oddly enough, most games that I've tried have tended to work better on a
standard Mandrake install then Caldera.  This one is the exception as it
seems to work fairly well on my Caldera box.

Larry

--
Larry Hignight          Descent 3 Beta tester          Caldera Linux 2.4
 11:40am  up 28 days, 19:48,  5 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.03, 0.00