Title: RE: [newbie] I can't detect my modem

Sorry to butt in but I have read that if you have the Network routing daemon running it will interfere with a dialup modem. You might want to check that in Drakconfig. Just a thought. It got me on one install. As soon as I disabled the network routing the modem dialed. Good luck, Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of John
Sent:   Monday, September 11, 2000 8:59 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: [newbie] I can't detect my modem

Charles,

I followed your instructions for configuring my port.   Unfortunately with
no success.  Found my device just fine using cat tool.
It is indeed a Communication controller.  :)   It is set to IRQ 9.    I
entered the setserial commands you gave me and after doing so and did a
modem query. Now I get  "No response from modem" vice "Modem is Busy" reply.
So I did some experimenting with the setserial handles.  I entered them each
one at time, skipped different ones, just about every combo
possible(restarting between different patterns).  What is happening is I
continue to get the busy reply unless I either (1) include skip_test with
the autoconfig handle -or- (2) run the autoconfig without the skip_test
(still busy) and then do the setserial uart 16550A.  Then i get the no
response.  It seems to me I have isolated the problem to the uart.  I can do
all the other commands and still get the busy reply, but once I use
skip_test or set the uart I get no response.  I also tried every different
uart setting it would allow me to. No help.  I tried the process on ttyS1 as
well with same results.  What exactly is the uart anyway?  I also did less
/proc/interrrupts to look at my IRQs and it wasn't listed (9 that is).
Where do I go from here?

/proc/pci info

BUS 0, device 4, function 0:
Communication controller: Lucent (ex-At&t) Microelectronics L56xMF(rev. 1)
Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 9.
Master capable. No bursts. Max Gnt=252. Max Lat=14

Also, I am running dual boot (grub) WIN98/Mandrake7.1 Athlon600

Help! )

John