I just bought a voodoo5 about three weeks ago.  It is a great card.  I'll
layout my thinking for you so you can see what I took into account.

1.  My past experience:  My old computer has two voodoo2's running in SLI
mode.  They perform on par with video cards like ATI rage fury, rage pro,
matrox g400 and tnt2 with one exception.  The visual quality is superior.
Also, those cards work equally well in linux and windows which is important to
me because I play a lot of games that are not and probably never will be
available for linux.  3Dfx drivers are excellent for both platforms and while
they are not updated as often as Nvidia's drivers they are updated when they
need to be.

2.  My monitor refreshes at 75hz.  So, frame rates beyond that are kind of
silly.  A movie (film in a theater) displays about 32 fps.  Movies look real
enough to me...you?  neurons can only fire once every 130th of a second.  so,
I guess about 120-130 fps is about the most that is even theoretically
percievable by a human.

3.  My game playing habits.  Given a choice between playing at 1024x768 in
16bit color with details set to low and playing at 800x600 in 32 bit with
details set to medium I'll take 800x600 every time.  In other words, image
quality is more important to me then frame rates above about 50fps.  Also, the
majority of the games I own will use glide and look better, are faster when
using it.  I will choose Glide everytime over OpenGL or D3D assuming that
there is not a clear and unmistakeable advantage to one of the other API's in
a particular game.

4.  Extra's on the video card.  I had an ATI rage fury with TV out, S-Video
out and a host of other features.  I never used them once.  They were a total
waste of money for me.  Since I had already come to the conclusion that I was
choosing between geforce and voodoo5, I looked at their extras.

GeForce2, very very very fast.  hardware T&L that only about three games
available right now use.  Of those three I own and play quake3.  More games
coming in the next year or so.  Very good drivers updated very often and very
good linux support.  Software full screen anti-aliasing.

voodoo5, very fast.  Glide for all of my old games that I still play
regularly.  Half-Life, Star Siege, quake2, and so on.  Glide for new games
too.  Deus Ex, Unreal tournament, Quake3 and many more.  Full screen
anti-aliasing in hardware with no extra code required.  It can be used with
every game out of the box.

I choose the voodoo5 because it supports all of my old games, it plays them
with VERY high fps with no FSAA and it plays them at very playable fps with
FSAA being used.

Typical Half-life fps with 4xFSAA enabled at 1024x768 in Glide are 50-70.
Absolutely playable and so freaking beautiful that I can't really describe it
with words.  UT I play with 2xFSAA in Glide and sit about the same 50-70 fps
at 800x600 with every detail level cranked to the highest.

In linux the current voodoo5 drivers drivers only use 1 of the chips on the
board.  I play quake3 at 800x600 with 16 bit color depth and medium detail
levels.  Time demo1 produces 57.2 fps.  Imagine when the drivers that use both
chips are available!    If I want straight speed, I turn off wall marks,
ejecting brass, turn on simple items, play at 640x480 with vertex lighting and
get 80-90 fps in game.

In short, I read all the reviews, I read the hardware specs and I talk with
people who have the hardware to see what it really runs like before I make a
decision.  Generally I have a pretty goos idea of what I'm getting before I
buy so I am usually very satisfied with my purchases.  In the case of the
voodoo5 and duron based computer I built, it has exceeded my expectations.
I'm happy.

Abe

also, read this article for some illumination on the fps thing.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/00q3/000704/index.html