Subj:   [newbie] beware old hardware optimizations
Date:   5/27/2000
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    I had taken hardware optimizations for granted; this is a reminder that
things can change over time.
    Having read here a while back that Linux is very demanding of hardware
set me thinking.  For the last six months I've had problems with Windows
Scandisk completing.  I suspected my hard drive was heading toward failure
[before I was disabled I was a computer technician, and this IS one of the
first signs of hard drive failure a user will see], and before I installed
Linux Mandrake 7 I installed a new HDD.  The Windows Scandisk problem
remained.
    In trying to solve Linux WordPerfect vs. StarOffice installs corrupting X
windows, and sound configuration failures it occured to me to remove my 15%
overclocking and accelerated DIMM timing from my hardware.  These things were
OK and had worked well for a year and a half.  Removing the overclocking
solved the Scandisk problem.  The DIMM timing changed nothing and was reset.
Too bad this didn't fix my Linux problems.
    -Gary-

In a message dated 9/13/2000 11:42:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,