Yes, the sentence "How much faster is it going to be at 800mhz or even 900mhz
then it is now?" from my previous email was intended as sarcastic irony not a
true question.  I have experience with over clocked ram and cpu's.  Like you
I've learned that it is not worth it.  If I need pc-150 performance I will buy
pc-150 DIMMs.  If I need a gig processor I'll buy one.

Abe

>===== Original Message From John Rye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> Abe,
>>     The extra speed that comes as a result of overclocking IS noticable,
but
>> not a big change.  A more significant question is: if a system is
overclocked
>> but stable, how long will it remain stable, and what will you go through
>> before you find the culprit: how much trouble will it cause you and is it
>> worth it.  I include a copy of a posting I sent to newbie in May. The
>> relevant sentence is : " These things [ referring to 15% overclocking ]
were
>> OK and had worked well for a year and a half."  I've done it, and my answer
>> is that I doubt I will overclock again.  As always, remember that your
>> mileage will vary.  -Gary-
>>
>> Subj:   [newbie] beware old hardware optimizations
>> Date:   5/27/2000
>> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>>     I had taken hardware optimizations for granted; this is a reminder that
>> things can change over time.
>>     Having read here a while back that Linux is very demanding of hardware
>> set me thinking.  For the last six months I've had problems with Windows
>> Scandisk completing.  I suspected my hard drive was heading toward failure
>> [before I was disabled I was a computer technician, and this IS one of the
>> first signs of hard drive failure a user will see], and before I installed
>> Linux Mandrake 7 I installed a new HDD.  The Windows Scandisk problem
>> remained.
>>     In trying to solve Linux WordPerfect vs. StarOffice installs corrupting
>> windows, and sound configuration failures it occured to me to remove my 15%
>> overclocking and accelerated DIMM timing from my hardware.  These things
were
>> OK and had worked well for a year and a half.  Removing the overclocking
>> solved the Scandisk problem.  The DIMM timing changed nothing and was
reset.
>> Too bad this didn't fix my Linux problems.
>>     -Gary-
>>
>> In a message dated 9/13/2000 11:42:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>>
>> <<
>>  How much faster is it going to be at 800mhz or even 900mhz then it is now?
>>  And how unstable will it be?  Bottom line is, I don't need to over clock
it
>>  feel like I got my moneys worth.  If it ain't broke it works just fins and
>>  should be left alone.
>>   >>

>Gary if you've been round the industry long enough you'll remember the
>good old Z-80.
>
>We used to run Z-80 based S-100 boards in multi-user MPM systems. The
>boards
>(manufacturer forgotten) supplied 1Mhz Z-80's and clocks on the boards
>which we replaced. We clocked all of the cards on the buss to 10Mhz and
> [...]

Jesus saves,
Allah forgives,
Chthulu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.