[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Abe,
>     The extra speed that comes as a result of overclocking IS noticable, but
> not a big change.  A more significant question is: if a system is overclocked
> but stable, how long will it remain stable, and what will you go through
> before you find the culprit: how much trouble will it cause you and is it
> worth it.  I include a copy of a posting I sent to newbie in May. The
> relevant sentence is : " These things [ referring to 15% overclocking ] were
> OK and had worked well for a year and a half."  I've done it, and my answer
> is that I doubt I will overclock again.  As always, remember that your
> mileage will vary.  -Gary-
>
> Subj:   [newbie] beware old hardware optimizations
> Date:   5/27/2000
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>     I had taken hardware optimizations for granted; this is a reminder that
> things can change over time.
>     Having read here a while back that Linux is very demanding of hardware
> set me thinking.  For the last six months I've had problems with Windows
> Scandisk completing.  I suspected my hard drive was heading toward failure
> [before I was disabled I was a computer technician, and this IS one of the
> first signs of hard drive failure a user will see], and before I installed
> Linux Mandrake 7 I installed a new HDD.  The Windows Scandisk problem
> remained.
>     In trying to solve Linux WordPerfect vs. StarOffice installs corrupting X
> windows, and sound configuration failures it occured to me to remove my 15%
> overclocking and accelerated DIMM timing from my hardware.  These things were
> OK and had worked well for a year and a half.  Removing the overclocking
> solved the Scandisk problem.  The DIMM timing changed nothing and was reset.
> Too bad this didn't fix my Linux problems.
>     -Gary-
>
> In a message dated 9/13/2000 11:42:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> <<
>  How much faster is it going to be at 800mhz or even 900mhz then it is now?
>  And how unstable will it be?  Bottom line is, I don't need to over clock it
>  feel like I got my moneys worth.  If it ain't broke it works just fins and
>  should be left alone.
>   >>

Gary if you've been round the industry long enough you'll remember the
good old Z-80.

We used to run Z-80 based S-100 boards in multi-user MPM systems. The
boards
(manufacturer forgotten) supplied 1Mhz Z-80's and clocks on the boards
which we replaced. We clocked all of the cards on the buss to 10Mhz and
got fantastic performance!!!!!!!! And it worked well on these beasts.

We had several very happy customers how really loved the 5 times
thru-put
increase. Multiple fans the whole 9 yards to keep them cool.

However there was a downside.....................

Really pungant smells throughout the offices, smoke detectors going off
for no apparent reason, inexplicable loss of data, and what was really
strange was the lovely green laquer on the boards went a really dark
brown !!!

Now that's overclocking!!!

I should add that none of these systems lasted more than 6 months  !!

I couldn't agree more with your suggestion that overclocking may be
detrimental to the performace of the system..

I wonder how I get my tongue out of mt cheek now.. any suggestions?

Cheers

PS I guess I should advise any contenders for the Americas Cup that we
Kiwis still don't overclock <grin>

--
ICQ# 89345394     Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]