>  effort to get the engine started.  How long does the average Linux user run
>  with a crippled system (like the sound card not working) until all the
>  subsystems settle into place.

This is probably the best indicator of how "mature" Linux is becoming relative
to the average desktop user.  I'd suggest that the last year has generated
several leaps and bounds in the right direction and has shortened that time
considerably.  From what I can see, LM7.2 is going to jump another couple leaps
forward with better printer, modem, and user setups during installation and
operational support for the hardware once in use.  Just a few more steps and a
standalone Linux system to support 3-4 basic app software uses will be a
no-brainer...just as it is in Windows.

Cheers --- Larry