Bascule,

In his diagram, Dennis indicates that the two workstations are DHCP clients.
Since he is on a private network, behind a firewall, and does not include a
separate server for the DHCP provider service, the firewall itself could
very well be the DHCP server--although he may have another server on his
network doing the job.

A firewall, can be simply that, a firewall, and nothing else. Or, it can be
several things at the same time... in this case, possibly a DHCP server. It
can also be a router...but not necessarily so.

As a firewall that "masquerades" an internal, private network, it is doing
some routing tasks, but not all. So, it is "sort of" a router, but not
really. A true router will separate segments of a network by the subnet
mask, and isolate network traffic that does not belong on the other
segments, keeping the different segments nice and "quiet".

A router can also act as a DHCP server if it is set up to do so. And, to
complicate things even further, a router can also be a firewall. And, in
fact, a router can be a DHCP serving, firewalling, packet-forwarding, DNS
serer if you really, really, r-e-a-l-l-y, wanted it to be. But that's giving
the poor machine a bit of work to do all at the same time, and if you're on
a large internal network, it's not considered "good practice".

Does that clear things up a bit? Or, have I successfully confused the issue
beyond repair?  :-)

--Greg