----- Original Message -----
From: "bascule" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 5:37 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] HP Jetdirect printing

> could i jump in and ask a couple of questions that might help me
> understand your diagram? i can't help you i'm afraid but i think i might
> learn something from any future answers to your query, does dhcp mean
> that the box is being given it's ip address by a dhcp server?

Yes. The dhcp server is actually a 486 box I'm using as a firewall.

>(or is
> being a server - only one needed though right?) in which case which is
> the dhcp server, the firewall? (is this what is called a  router?),

Not sure what you mean by that first part. If I understand you right, yes,
only one dhcp
server is needed. The primary function of the box IS to be a firewall. I
could have as
easily used static IPs instead of dynamic. Since RoadRunner uses dhcp for my
internet
address, I figured I would just carry on with dhcp.

>is your network printer configured via the network or by physical switches
> etc.(i.e. how do you assign it an ip?)

With the Jetdirect, the printers IP can be done via HPs webjet software,
their
JetAdmin software or telnet from a workstation.

> i hope you don't mind my butting in but i am interested in networking
> questions

Not a problem.