> Besides the ipchains, there is a dnscache, dhcp, ssh, dhclient and
portsentry (for
> grins).

Aw, c'mon... you can fit an Apache Web Server, MySQL Database, and a hefty
load of php scripts in there too!!!  :-)

> I opted for the easy way out and used the Linux Router Project, notably
Charles Steinkulers
> diskimages.

Actually, a friend of mine at work has just re-done his firewall, and built
a disk-less linux router to handle firewalling and port-forwarding. He's
booting from floppy on a modified kernel. I'm thinking of trying the same
thing...the noise from the power supply fan on my P166 firewall/ftp server
is just pissing me off.  :-)

--Greg