Mandrake Folks:

I agree with everything that's being said about learning for yourself by
connecting with the resources, doing the research, etc.  I also agree that
Linux, and open source computing in general should operate this
way.  I think its great!  But this is not the point I was trying to make.

The point is this: as a "newbie" I purchased Mandrake 7.1 Deluxe without
knowing much about it, or Linux, or the open source community.  I had a problem
with installation. The top of the software box said "Free Installation Technical
Support".  The back of the box said technical support for Mandrake 7.1 came
with a "guaranteed 24-hour turnaround".  I followed the enclosed instructions
regarding technical support, sent my detailed message, received my number, and
waited for four days.  After four days, I gave up - never hearing from
Macmillan.

I now know that various distributions deal with support in different ways.
Slackware has email and web support.  Red Hat has telephone support.  However,
I find Mandrake to be the best distribution for my needs.   If Macmillan
simply did not say they were offering "guaranteed 24-hour turnaround" support,
there would be no issue.  I would purchase it anyway.

My concern is that someone not familiar or experienced with Linux and the
open source community process may be frustrated by the lack of response.

Mandrake seems to have set the goal of being the best Linux distribution.  I
think they are doing it. This is one small element in the overall picture.

Robert Maynord