On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Jeff Cours wrote:

> The short answer is that no, sendmail doesn't do POP3 (or if it does, it's
> much more trouble than its worth to configure it.) Take a look at the
> "fetchmail" package (start with "man fetchmail" from a command
> prompt). It's easy to set up and works well.

One other option I should have mentioned. I don't know exactly why you
asked the original question. If your goal is just to get e-mail working on
a home machine, where you're using a dial-up connection through an ISP,
then the simplest way to do it is to use something like Netscape
Messenger. It's smart enough to do its own POP3 mail retrieval (so you
don't need fetchmail), and it already knows how to use an SMTP
server. It's kind of a clunky solution, but it would get you running until
some time later when you wanted to take the time to dive into installing
fetchmail.

- Jeff