On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Wayfarer wrote:
> When I run sounddrake (as root of course) it finds my sound card fine.
> When I hit 'test' I hear Linus's voice fine, but if I click on 'ok' I
> get: sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp' No such device-  Only
> clicking 'exit' lets me out. I have checked the permissions in /dev/dsp*

I'm running an Athlon 700/128ram with an SBLive in Mandrake 7.1, and I was
in the exact situation you described, and I now have working sound in
Linux. That's the good news.  The bad news is that I'm not entirely
certain which thing I did to made it work.  =)

Linuxnewbie.org has a little article called "SBLive" issues that
helped me out:
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/soundcards/sblive.html

[At one point, the author warns the reader away from the 'make install'
command, but that was what worked for me, rather than his manual method,
so it might be worth a shot.]

The driver at Creative is updated VERY frequently; the one I'm using came
out the day I installed it (and finally got it to work).

Sorry I can't provide concrete answers.  Good luck.  =)

B.

Veni vidi velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around.