Hello All,

I am having some problems with sound in linux mandrake 7.1. I am running
an Athlon 600 with 256 meg of ram. Soundcard is Creative SB Live! PCI
and network card is Netgear FA310TX. Linux is on its own seperate hd
from windows.

When I run sounddrake (as root of course) it finds my sound card fine.
When I hit 'test' I hear Linus's voice fine, but if I click on 'ok' I
get: sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp' No such device-  Only
clicking 'exit' lets me out. I have checked the permissions in /dev/dsp*
and /dev/audio* and /dev/adsp* among others and they are all set rwx for
user group and other (unless you are in 1-x instead of * if you know
what I mean). When I try to open the files with KFM I get: could not
read /dev/audio (including * and 1,2,3, etc.) File does not exist or
access denied. Same for /dev/dsp* and /dev/adsp* etc. etc. Even though I
can see the listing in KFM.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the aumix rpm from the cd and
from the web, and no change. When I click on the mixer icon I get: kmix:
could not open mixer. Perhaps you have no permission to access the mixer
device. Log in as root and do a 'chmod a+rw /dev/mixer*' to allow the
access. which I did to no avail.

I know I haven't tried everything because there is still no sound. Your
help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Wayfarer