> I've got 128MB of RAM and the Swap is only 96MB.  When I was running
> Caldera Open Linux 2.2, I never saw any of it being used.  When I installed
> Mandrake 7.1, swap utilization came up to 2-3%.  I suppose if were doing
> some heavy development work and creating huge programs, I would see it go up.
> For me personally, I don't see the need to use up more disk space for an
> area that is seeing little usage.

Running large programs is probably more likely to place demands on swap
than developing them.  If you've got, say Word Perfect/Wine, a
spreadsheet program, email tool, and Netscape open (I often have
this situation) you'll probably see more swap usage :-)  But I think
that's the point.  The notion that swap "should be" 128m or "twice your
RAM" is pure folly.  Swap demands, as you well know, is dependent upon
memory usage.

Cheers --- Larry