> > LPI Prep Kit General Linux I, Pg 48 - Your swap partition should
> > be twice the amount of physical RAM installed on your system.
> > The maximum size of a swap
>
> This I don't understand.  In fact, the more memory I put in a
> machine the less need I should have for swap.  But recall, Running
> Linux is "strongly suggesting 16mb of memory, so twice that in
> swap is only 32mb.  You'd end up with a 48mb memory limit which is
> well below the standing RAM in most of our current machines.
> Cheers --- Larry

    While i spared y'all requoting all of Larry said, I agree with
it.  128mb swap limits, the notion of swap = 2x ram, and all the
other like statements i've seen in this thread are obsolete, dated,
and just plain wrong.  While I don't have a 'man swap' entry, I did
check 'man swapon', it's dated 1995.  In computer terms, that's
ancient history.   Same is true for most printed docs and books.  By
the time the ink is dry, they're often obsolete/wrong/misleading.

   I have 256mb ram.  All ram isn't equal.  Mine is 2 sticks, one
7ns and one 8ns SDram running at 135mhz cas2 timings on a
motherboard that supports it with 3.55v IO, 0 errors.  Whether it's
using Gimp to enlarge a .jpg by 10x, or ripping Cd's to mp3's while
playin audio CD's, and with several other apps runnin, including
kernel compiles... I rarely see any swap usage at all.  Still, I put
a 120mb swap on the drives 1st partition.  Old habit I guess ;)
--
Tom Brinkman        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Galveston Bay