When in doubt do some research into the best apps for your needs, on any
OS, and then clone them or help a programmer you might know (Linux lists
are good places to find them) to clone them for you as opensource. Once
you got the basics of what you need it is much easier to develop
specialized functions and features you might need added. I'm certainly not
above taking ideas from other programs and then making my own
version. Can't be that horrible a sin, afterall look at all the people who
invented mindsweeper and tetris. ;>

Winmodems are easy enough to overcome.. just buy a cheap external modem
and your set. I for one switched to highspeed access for both work and
home and am very pleased with it. My biggest complaint is in things like
digital cameras. I recently had the need to buy a few web cams to monitor
a server room with and finding some that were Linux compatible was a
pain. The process was to find one that was compatible and then search
until I found someplace that had it, do a few price/feature comparisons,
verify it is the same thing even though it has the same name, and finally
buy one. It was very frustrating that the majority of supported models
were slightly outdated and so harder to find online. I ended up buying a
couple CUSeeMe (or whatever that is) cams for about $40 each and they
serve my need.

*^*^*^*
Have the courage to take your own thoughts seriously, for they will shape
you. -- Albert Einstein