Av,

I hear what you're saying, and to a small degree I ...well, sort of agree,
but only to a small point. Actually, my supervisor and I have this very
converstation at times. He's said, and still continues to say, a lot of
the same things that you're saying. I am of the feeling that if Linux, no
matter what flavor, were to become "more" new user friendly, or to put it
a better way, extreme novice user friendly, then it would no longer
"be" linux. It would be Microsoft...or very much like it and not much at
all like Linux.

I don't say that to portray an attitude of an elitest. Quite the contrary
as a matter of fact. I've watched over the years as windows has evolved
and changed and become more novice friendly, and when I use that term I'm
refering to folks that barely know what a mouse is let alone what it can
do. Anyway, I've watched as the Windows platform has changed over the
years and has grown more and more accomodating to anyone and everyone in
general and to some degree that "is" necessary, but in so doing I really
believe that they've sacrficed much of Windows strengths and stability for
ease of use for both user and third party vendor.

Linux does indeed take a fair amount of work to get started with the
system and even a little more to get to a point to where you, as the user
feel very confortable with the system. I remember when I first started. I
thought I was going to pull my hair out trying to figure out what to do
next. But I quickly saw something in Linux that I didn't find in windows
and that was a great deal of stability, power and flexibility as long as I
was willing to dance to the tune "it" was playing. I'm glad I stuck it out
cause it's been a great and wild ride. And it's STILL not over. Every time
I turn around I'm learning something new, or finding another program thats
on the system that I didn't know was there that does something real cool.

--
Mark

/ * Sometimes it becomes necessary to rock the boat
  * in order to get the rats up from below decks
  * so they can be kicked over the side and drowned!
  *
  *     REGISTERED LINUX USER # 182496
  */

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000 Abraham Pinzur had this to say!