-----Original Message-----
From: David Grubb
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 8:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RE: [newbie] gates gets Linux

I can understand what you are saying here, that the face of Linux will
change and it will no longer be recognised as the free OS it is now. I
disagree as I don't understand how simplifying the installation and use of
Linux for basic home users will dramatically alter the foundations of the
Linux OS.

Dave,

I agree with you completely.  The proper attitude is that making Linux
extremely easy will not (should not!!) SUBTRACT from what is here today!  If
you enjoy config files and mucking around with parameters - that will all
still be there.  If you enjoyed CLI work with the shell of your choice -
that will still be there.  But for the majority of people who are not
interested in the "guts" the ease-of-use would be there.  Add the "layman
apps" that the non-enthusiast might be interested in and suddenly Linux
could start to be a real alternative in the consumer market.  That would
help the consumer and Linux.

And... that may be happening with companies like Dell/Compaq/IBM shipping
Linux pre-installed.  Yes, it's probably mostly servers but that's a start
and more than has been there.  Think of what would happen if these hardware
suppliers start offering consumer packages.  My crystal ball is no clearer
than anyone else's in this department, but it shouldn't take much
imagination to consider the possibilities.

-rick