On Sunday 03 December 2000 15:56, you wrote:
> Hmm, okay...I'm a little confused now. I thought that with Xfree 4.01 and
> Mandrake v7.2, if your video card is supported, then you get automagically
> installed hardware acceleration? Is that not right?

It is correct if your video card is decent hardware, but there are a host of
cards we expected XFree 4.01 to support where the support is sadly lacking,
such as the SiS 530/620 and the 6326 which will work accelerated under 3.3.6
but NOT under 4.01 (ghosts, noise, etc., even without acceleration)

One thing that is certain, acceleration is likely to work only at 16-bit
color depth.  Changing the resolution to a different color depth WILL break
it.

Civileme

> Another question; I'm thinking about upgrading soon. Any issues with Via
> 133 and AMD 751 chipsets? Tyan motherboards? Thanks, all! ;-)

Well, the combination of WD 7200 rpm drives and VIA 133, both KX and KT
chipsets seems suspect.    Furthermore, special procedures are needed to
install using the ASUS K7V because the ATA/100 Promise on-board controller is
not initially recognized (see the newbie archives for the steps given by
gshaw).