Spaces are not illegal at all - you can use them as you wish. I personally
like to use spaces in file and directory names in order to keep my stuff
organised. Most programmes support this, but there are a few that I've
encountered that don't. I don't think it's a good idea to use spaces outside
your home directories, unless you're sure this won't create any problems.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
        Your mouse has moved. Windows must be rebooted to acknowledge this change.