I like your idea, but this appears to be more of a job for the window manager
than for X itself, since different window managers have different feature
sets and different ways of doing things. As I mentioned before, I quite like
the Sawfish configuration options. These allow a multitude of combinations
involving the mouse, the keyboard, or even both together. While it may not
have everything you may want, remember that Sawfish is a relatively young
window manager (compared to, say, Enlightenment and WindowMaker) and its
feature set is improving over time.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
        Your mouse has moved. Windows must be rebooted to acknowledge this change.