I have a pci Sound Blaster Live and /usr/sbin/sndconfig did mine!  Sounds
great too with my Altec Lansing speakers.  It sounds as good as it does under
windows with Creatives' bloated drivers and software.  It won't work for you?

When I switched to 2.4.0, it set it up and my pci modem automatically.  (I
mean I had a configuration from previous kernel, but with this other machine,
I had to set the modem and sndcard up again after install of new kernel, but
they are older isa cards).  All that to say, I'm not sure, but I think the
new kernel supports pnp pci cards better.

-s