> I have a pci Sound Blaster Live and /usr/sbin/sndconfig did mine!  Sounds
> great too with my Altec Lansing speakers.  It sounds as good as it does
under
> windows with Creatives' bloated drivers and software.

Well .... no, the Linux version does not really sound as good (IMO). Mostly
because I can find no way (or no Linux software) to activate the 2nd set of
speakers that I have. Under Windows, I have sound from all 4, as well as
control over the sound placement; under Linux, I only get sound the front 2,
and I have no control over the sound placement. Nor do I have control over
all the effects (reverb, delay, etc) that I have under Windows. Nor does it
come with the profusion of presets (jazz hall, optimized for certain games,
etc).

Which is not to say that the sound from the front 2 speakers is bad, or
wrong, or anything; it's just that I have nowhere near the amount of control
over my sound system under Linux, as I do under Windows.