Adrian Smith wrote:

> I personally don't like this solution, but it's yet another way for Linux
> (and Mandrake) to gain market share (at the expense of becoming more like
> M$). I believe that if anyone is stupid enough not to understand the already
> very user-friendly Mandrake Drakx, then they shouldn't be using Linux at all.
> What do everyone else here think?

Adrian,

        For egotistical reasons I am tempted to agree with you, but I think in
the real world that's a poor way to look at the problems here. Everyone
had to learn somehow, but just because you and I learned in the school
of hard knocks doesn't mean everyone has to. There is no reason to need
an advanced degree in comp sci to use a computer. If you want the
computer to be a tool it has to be usable by those that need it. If you
want it to be an ego trip for the cognoscenti then what you say is true.

        The Drake tools are very good and easy to use for those of us with more
than a smattering of technical knowledge. But without better
documentation they are a huge barrier for the average user. Some of the
problems I see with Mandrake are trying to use the server install
instead of workstation, (I wiped out 3 gigs of webpages, graphics files,
and programs on ide2) probably 20 installs before I figured out a
reasonable partitioning scheme, multiple development programs an
libraries which just take space and are not usable for most users,
multiple programs which are extraneous for the majority of users (i.e.
text editors, mail programs, web tools, system monitors, and sound/video
multimedia programs).

        I would like to see a documentation link on the splash screen as you
open the installation program. Ideally it could be in pdf format and
open a pdf client that would give simple steps to the installation
process. This could also define terms and give examples of what is
necessary for a minimum install, as well as provide warnings about
terminal (as in kill your computer) problems. Some examples could be:
        1) install linux prior to WIN2K,
        2) do not use 'server' installation on a dual boot computer, (or one
with data you would like to keep),
        3) known unreconcilable hardware problems (windmodems, incompatible
peripherals)
        4)  The steps necessary to create a dual boot machine.

        I did a portion of my Master's work on usability problems. Much of it
based on my long, difficult, and destructive attempts at learning linux.
Fortunately I have several computers and don't have to take the chance
at destroying my workstation to experiment, most of the computing
population doesn't have that advantage. Linux isn't easy but it will
have to become easier if it is to become a standard in the business
community, and amongst the computing public. Most people don't want to
experiment, they would like to use their computer to surf the web, write
the odd letter, track their checkbook, and keep records. There is no
reason to make things difficult (or impossible) for Joe User. The past
20 years is littered with good ideas, hardware and software that didn't
take that unnecessary difficulty into account

--
Jim