I think this is a wonderful idea too, but why PDF? I'd rather HMTL or plain
text...

>       I did a portion of my Master's work on usability problems. Much of
it
>based on my long, difficult, and destructive attempts at learning linux.

Wow, do you have anything published that I could read on this subject.  I
very interested in this sort of thing.

It seems that one thing MS and Apple have is a dedicated group that help
solve usability problems that are not so closely tied to the techy/developer
mentality.  I don't know for sure but I don't think this is true for the
KDE, GNOME, etc. groups (correct me if I'm wrong), my impression is that
there is some gathering of ideas from the community about usability issues,
but the ideas come from and are processed by folks higher-up on the computer
food chain instead of from the middle or lower regions.

See, while Linux is a wonderful thing, the fact that you must pour over
HOW-TOs which many times are quite obscure and post many emails to lists and
press on for months in this mode to get your sound card to work (for
example) speaks to the fact that Linux is a hobbyist OS. But, that said, it
is getting better all the time.

Just recently my wife has shown some interest in installing Linux because
she wants to see what the gimp is like since she is a web developer.  And
though I am a little apprehensive about this venture, it will be when folks
like her reach a critical mass that some usablility innovation will show up
in the OS.