Whenever a new release comes out I have always been in the habit of doing a full
install, rather than an upgrade.
Of course this entails some backing up and restoring of information.

I have seen some discussions regarding how many partitions is best for an
install, and I notice there are (as usual)
varying opinions.

Is there a general guideline I can follow.  Do I basically want to set up /;
/boot and /usr?  What should be a good
rule of thumb for allocating space for the various partitions?