On Saturday 03 February 2001 17:57, Richard T. Waters wrote:
> Whenever a new release comes out I have always been in the habit of doing a
> full install, rather than an upgrade.

A person after my own heart! Of course doing a backup first of all your data
is a good idea!

> Of course this entails some backing up and restoring of information.

Yup!

> I have seen some discussions regarding how many partitions is best for an
> install, and I notice there are (as usual)
> varying opinions.
>
> Is there a general guideline I can follow.  Do I basically want to set up
> /; /boot and /usr?  What should be a good
> rule of thumb for allocating space for the various partitions?

I teach some classes for new Linux users. Here is what I tell them for a 5
Gig drive. (OK, I know I am about to be corrected, flamed, etc for this but I
can handle it [sniff] - just remember this is a general suggestion and is not
written in stone).

Do NOT let the installer auto-partition. I have a different opinion about
putting /var onto it's own partition. Don't.

These are in order on how I recommend creating on a 5 gig drive:
/boot = 64 meg
Swap = 2 times the amount of physical memory in your machine. More if a
server (probably 4 times).
/ = 3.5 Gig
/home = remainder of all drive space.

This seems to let them do a  full development install and it works.

(OK, let me have it!). Anyways, forgive me mailing list Gods, but if you are
near New Haven, CT USA check out the Mandrake Campus courses at:
http://www.innovationsw.com/training.
-Chris