I can answer that in one word - "Updates".

It is far easier and safer to do a clean install than to do an update. Part
of the clean full install includes formatting. For myself that would be
deadly as my /home partition has a lot of source code, documents, etc. So
that is partitioned.

Also, wou will see a performance hit the larger the drive gets. IMHO.

Hope that helps,
-Chris