"H.J.Bathoorn" wrote:

> > >      So you're saying that I should reinstall the whole
> > > Mandrake CD again? Erase the whole system and start from
> > > scratch?  I guess I'll have to eventually, but I was kind of
> > > hoping that there might be a less extreme solution.
> > >
> > >                                                           DRX

> > If you setup your "/home" directory to be on a seperate
> > partition, the damage of reinstalling is minimal. You will not
> > lose anyfiles that you have placed into this directory but you
> > should not choose to **format** this directory when the
> > partitioner asks you for this action. Format "/" and mayber
> > "/boot" if they are seperate and you should be ok.
>
> Very true but also a way to keep configuration-faults 'alive'
> especialy on the xserver side.

That is true if you have placed configuration information into your home
directory that directly affects your system hardware to work. It is my
impression that "/home" stores "personal" information and configuration.
I have been upgrading betas and what not for over fourteen months and I
haven't had any problems with sparing my "/home" directory. If anything,
that is the only directory that needs to be spared unless you plan to
switch the type of filesystem that it is under (ie ext2 converted to
Reiserfs), then you would need to backup.

--

  .--. `
  |__| .-------.   Altoine Barker