-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Meph Istopheles
Sent: Thursday, 22 February 2001 10:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Real rm?

  Hey,

>      When I give the command "rm annoyingfile" I expect
> annoyingfile to disappear -- not to be asked

> rm: remove 'annoyingfile'?

>      What's the point of asking that?  I wouldn't have given
> the command rm if I didn't want to remove annoyingfile, would
> I?

>      How do I change the function of rm to make it work the way
> I would like?

  This one bothered me too (read "drove me nuts") till I finally
looked in ~./.bashrc.  It appears MandrakeSoft chose to make an
alias for rm to rm='rm -i' which is for interactive.  I suppose
to gear toward the total 'puter newbie.

  You can either remove the alias or, as I'd done, switch it to
rm='rm -f' which is for force, ie, no questions asked.

  Meph

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux