On Thursday 22 February 2001 01:46 pm, DRX wrote:
>      When I give the command "rm annoyingfile" I expect annoyingfile
> to disappear -- not to be asked
>      How do I change the function of rm to make it work the way I
> would like?

   in your  /home/<user>/.bashrc    you'll see some lines like these
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# User specific aliases and functions
alias rm='rm -i'
alias mv='mv -i'
alias cp='cp -i'
alias s='cd ..'
alias d='ls'
alias p='cd -'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   The first one  "alias rm='rm -i'"  modifies the normal behavior of
'rm' so that it asks you to confirm.  In the above, the same is true
for 'mv' (move) and 'cp' (copy).  If you really want to change this
(which I wouldn't suggest), put a pound sign '#' and a space in front
of the statement.  eg,  # alias rm='rm -i'   and save the changes to
the file. In the next terminal you start, 'rm' will no longer ask for a
confirmation.  I'd also suggest you read the man pages for all the
above aliases in .../.bashrc
--
Dale Earnhardt,  the greatest stock car driver ever.
  Tom Brinkman             [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Galveston Bay