as i recall i've done this in two places, one during the install itself when
the routine probes for cards and doesn't find it, after installation i ran
linux conf and under -from memory- networking>hosts adapters? something like
that, you specify host and domain name and can configure up to four nics by
choosing their driver, ne2000 compatible or just ne for you and me, note:
ne2000 compat isa is differnet to the pci, and also you can enter options
here, in the box marked io put '0x300', i have never needed to specify irqs
to date just the port

does this help?

bascule