On Thursday 28 June 2001 23:25, Rita F. Koenigs wrote:
> There seems to be a lot of talk about Windows (even
> before the Appeals Court decision) being a "competitor"
> of / annoyance to the Linux OS ....
>
> I'm wondering about FreeBSD   .... or MAC OS X ....  any
> potential competition there? ... any way to combat the OS
> monopolistic intent of M$?

> http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

there is no threat. really. i can say that with all
honesty. i've just been to the USENIX conference in Boston
MA and let me tell you firsthand that there IS NO PLACE for
Windows or ANY OTHER PROPRIETARY OS at these shows!, in
your workplace, even in your home! WINDOWS IS OLD NEWS! OK?
what i saw today was indeed LIVING PROOF that the Linux
community at large is very much alive and kicking! there is
no competition....there is harmony...between thousands of
programmers and their kindred...even good old end users. no
one is left out...everyone who was there today. programmer
or not - no one seemed to care about the court decision and
no one cares what kind of move M$ makes next! it won't
matter. there will still be GNU/Linux being installed on
EVERYTHING as i saw today! one of the COOLEST things being
a COMPAQ handheld PC with a full blown version of GNU/Linux
running on it quite nicely! that's a handheld PC....NOT a
PDA!!! it had a fully working camera mounted, 64 MB of RAM,
and it was THE COOLEST THING!!! gee, funny, i only saw one
M$ vendor there. everyone was poking fun at the poor guy
because the RAT BASTARD had a STUPID and USELESS shell
interface that let's you command a Linux/UNIX box from a
Windows GUI. AND, to add to it's uselessness, it only runs
for 120 days before you have to purchase it! WHAT KIND OF
CRAP IS THAT? there's a free shell program called ttssh for
windows and it's FREE and it DOES THE SAME GODAMNED THING!

http://www.tucows.com and search for TTSSH!

anyway, back to the point. there IS NO THREAT. the beauty
of this OS is that it gives you a CHOICE. isn't that nice?
do you think the internet runs 100% on M$? BULL. what i saw
today has CHANGED MY MIND FOREVER. PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE AND
COMPUTER SYSTEMS ARE FOR PEOPLE WHO ONLY CARE ABOUT
MONEY!!! everyone understand that? and i'm not saying that
there's anything wrong with making money. but THESE GUYS
AREN''T JUST MAKING MONEY, they're taking the general
population and making us (for those of you who care)
STUPID. does it work? yes. is it affordable? sure. but
there's MUCH MORE than meets the eye. and, if you like
computers even just a LITTLE BIT, you will take heed to
what i've said here and REALLY take a good long look at how
M$ is MONOPOLIZING THE WAY YOU COMMUNICATE ONLINE. YES, IT
IS TRUE.

start taking a good long look at how things are...if you
don't care? that's fine. but, once in a while i actually
enjoy excersising my constitutional rights...i don't need
to buy ANYTHING from ANYONE if i don't want to! it's the
LAW. and that's all i'm going to say.

p.s. USENIX! Boston MA! very very very cool!

p.p.s. it was nice to rub elbows with REAL people in a REAL
evironment where we didn't have to sit and talk MARKETING
BULLSHIT ALL DAY. these were guys who want to discover
SOLUTIONS and come up with new and unique ideas in
COMPUTING. then, they get paid when the job is done.
wow...honest people. scary.

--

+ Jeff Reed

Check out Linux! It's good for you.