On Wed, 4 Jul 2001 12:10, Judith Miner wrote:
> Sridhar wrote:
> >> I noticed that you said in an earlier post that you had trouble
>
> importing your fonts. Have you tried using DrakFont (part of the
> Mandrake Control Centre)? <<
>
> Of course. It's a very limited tool, but it did make some TrueType fonts
> available to the system and some of the programs are using them for
> display. They do look better than the dreadful defaults used otherwise.
>
> But it's not enough for printing or serious work. You don't get an
> acceptable character set, only ISO 8859 that does not include true
> typographic apostrophes, quotation marks, and other important
> typographic characters. KFontInst should do what I need to do with both
> Type 1 and TrueType fonts and I'll be able to select a proper character
> set, but I'm still puzzling out how to do the preliminaries as described
> in the KFontInst "manual."
>
> Do you know how to get rid of all those ugly fonts that are listed in
> DrakFont? I tried highlighting them and telling DrakFont to remove them,
> but it wouldn't. Didn't tell me why, either. I would keep a Helvetica, a
> Times, and a Courier from the screen fonts listed and would like to dump
> the rest. I have added several TrueTypes for screen display.
>  --Judy Miner

I'm not sure if this will do the job (I haven't tried it yet), but have a
look at pfaedit, now available in Cooker.

A quick and dirty way to disable font directories (not individual fonts) can
be done in the file /etc/X11/fs/config. Place a hash (#) in front of any line
(except the first) in the "catalogue" section to disable that directory.

For more details, take a look at the Fonts HOWTO at http://www.linuxdoc.org.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson