> Remember, I'm your test case--the Windows user who wants to say good-bye
> to Microsoft but does not want to and will not become a command
> line/console sort of gal. Mandrake 8 claims to have me in mind.<g>

While it's true that Mandrake may require less command line usage than other Linux
distributions, I find it hard to imagine that MDK
or anybody else would claim that you can avoid the command line altogether. And quite
frankly, I don't know why you'd want to go
without it.

Linux is based on the command line. Its power and speed comes from the command line.
Desktop interfaces are great, but you can't go
without some understanding of Linux' blood and guts. Honestly, if you want to ditch M$
but aren't willing to become familiar with
the command line, I think you should be looking at Macs rather than Linux.

Don't get me wrong-I'm not trying to drive you away from Linux; I just think you
seriously need to re-evaluate your attitude towards
the command line. It can be demanding, but its really necessary, and well worth the
trouble.

So do the desktop thing, but don't cut yourself off from the command line.

Miark