Hi Judith,,

rather then comment on the command stuff that the other responses are
focusing on, I will try to help you out in my megre way...

first, what type of connection do you have? cable, ppp (dialup) ADSL,,,, all
can require different answers..

The problem is that I do everything with IPCHAINS, and because you have
IPtables, it is different and not compatable, although the syntax is
similiar,

This is an IPchain rule to open a port..

/sbin/ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 0/0 -d 123.123.123.245/255.255.255.255
80 -j ACCEPT

That basically means allow all tcp connections from 0/0 (anywhere) to
123.123.123.245/255.255.255.255 (your ip and subnet)

on port 80,, so that means with this ipchains rule, it will open port 80...

if you change the -j (which bascially means "jumpto" and is essentially what
you want to do with the packet...

so change it to DENY and you have locked that port.. and if you put a -l
after it, it will log it also..

/sbin/ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 0/0 -d 123.123.123.245/255.255.255.255
80 -j DENY -l

brief breakdown,,,

-A means append a new rule...
-p means what protocol, in the above example its tcp
-s means source,, where the packet came from,,, (so 0/0 means it doens't
matter where it came from)
-d means destination, where the packet was heading to,, (hense specifing
your IP)
-j is the target, or what to do with the packet... (hence DENY, ACCEPT
REJECT.. etc..)
-l log the packets,,,,

Then you would add this rule to the bottom of your rc.local file,,, or where
ever your other firewall scripts put them..

so in your case, assuming you had ipchains and not iptables, (IPTABLES is
newer and in some ways better, (ie simplier) to use)

you could add the rules as follows...
/sbin/ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 0/0 -d 123.123.123.245/255.255.255.255
631 -j DENY -l
/sbin/ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 0/0 -d 123.123.123.245/255.255.255.255
6000 -j DENY -l

so now,, all you have to do is convert them to IPTABLES and add them to your
rules and you are set...

I might that ipchains and iptables are kernel filtering,, they are much
better then the windows variants, and that is why they are alittle more
daunting at first,, I ran bastille ages ago, and had the same problem, back
then I didn't know wether or not to have stuff open or closed...
Thats why I liked pmfirewall back then, it asks you questions and writes the
rules based on your suggestions... and it suggests stuff like closing
6000...

anyway, I apologise for not being able to be more specific to your problems,
but there are a few sites out there that can tell you how to convert
IPCHAINS to IPTABLES, and if you find one of them, you should be fine...

(or you can set your box up to use ipchains instead, but thats more hassle
then converting to iptables.

regards

Frank