Hi folks,
Well, I purchased the official M8 Powerbox ( to avoid any problems
with install) - in Oz it costs twice the price of USA - $140
After two weeks of at least half a day every day - asking for and
getting great support here, it seems time to call a halt .

The distro install is definitely deteorating - like my adrenalin
reserves :-)

I didn't have this many problems doing my first ever Concurrent-Dos
Network twenty years ago, when my only "expert" quit suddenly and
left me with the job.
Side Note: I am an industrial psychologist. I NEVER tuned my own car
:-).

Possible causes:

1. Either it is my machine.
2. It is the Disks/Distro itself faulty.
3. My efforts at getting progs to work have broken it.

1. The machine EVEN runs W98SE with the only fault being the famous
memory leak under heavy use. I can keep it going all day!

2.  It seemed ok. Even though by accident of accepting all the
defaults I could see, resulted in my installing a full Server
version.  It was very fast to get up and connect to the inet.

3. Till 48 hours ago, the problems seemed typical Newby. " Where's
the bathroom? Now, how do I flush?"

Then the neg reports/events began:

As of this A.M.:
1. On startup many problems are reported - particularly relating to
Disk Partitions.  e.g. "blocks 64 should be 8 -fixed"(see 3)
2. On Logout, sometimes it offers a login alternative screen,
sometimes it simply boots back into the default user - and continues
the problem.
3. On Shutdown it reports numerous and seemingly increasing problems
- particularly with both CDs and "devices".

4. PPP dies unexpectedly regularly.

5. Kmail will suddenly "whiteout" and only a logout will help. This
costs the loss of the display details of the KPPP.  It is still
connected, but no display of the fact is available.

6. Intense Disk activity (thrashing in the Doze world) has caused
lockup 3 times in 2 days.  Always involving Kmail.
(VERY frustrating to duplicate 100+ emails downloaded! )
Resolved by hitting cancel button on display saying ( each reboot)
"indexing".
( On startup not relog, a display of "Gnome is searching for Trash
bins" also appears and has to be cancelled. It does not go away.)

7.  A Gnome Desktop has appeared on Dtop 4 and is un-cancellable

8.  Hitting the Kill option has no effect on the locked-up programs.
In the now severe cases. the final event is reminescent of the
"B.S.O.D." of Doze. Only recourse is a reboot.

If it was a horse, I would "put it down" - it seems in great pain. :-)

NOW:  If I decide to start again, does this seem like:
1.  Simple install interference?
2.  Something broke? ( I have under advice hit the update button)
3. Only foreign body introduced was IBM's Websphere which brings Wine
with it......   All others were part of the Distro.

How would you suggest I re-install?
1. Uninstall
2. Delete entire partition.
3. Send away for new disks. ( Another week lost)

Thanks again for all the fish folks, I promise that I'm trying to do
my bit to come up with THAT Newby FAQ/Gotcha list. But I didn't
expect to be the MAIN contributor :-)

--
Cheers,

John
http://counter.li.org GO HERE IF YOU SUPPORT LINUX!

Fablor is now Webhosting?? What on earth for??
Info here: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(it's only an Autoresponder)  :-)