Hi Sridhar,
Thanks for all that!

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:22, you manipulated electrons to produce:

******** Aha!

********** Thanks - I'll just take the advice!  :-)

> I wouldn't use Plex86 just yet. It _does_ show promise, but at
> present it is still buggy and slow. MandrakeSoft sponsor its
> development, so hopefully it should be usable soon.

DirectX support is currently
> not very good, but I've managed to get a few DirectX games going.
> CD-burning is not supported in the current release.

******** But, I take it by simply going back to your  Mandrake you
can use a CDW under it?  Which Prog do you use?

>. Win4Lin is less taxing on systems than
> VMware, and is much faster. Like VMware, its current support for
> certain functions like DirectX and games are not very good.
******** Well, the last things I need are games - I'm outtta time
alla time as it is!

******** Yes I have it in Powerpak 8 but no sound!

> If you are sure that you have done everything you can to get your
> sound working, perhaps you should look into buying a new sound
> card. Cheap sound boards can cost well under $A50, and a Sound
> Blaster Live! usually costs about $A100.

********* Well, that's the odd part. The system knows what my card
is.  And the next problem would be as to what card MIGHT work -
listers seem to complain a lot about cards - even listed ones.
Yamaha have a good rep with Dictation Users, but.......

> > I NEED either FrontPage 2000 or the Windoze version of Websphere
> > at least. - the Linux/wine version is too cut down and painfully
> > slow.....  The GNU ones are too stripped down no extras.
>
> As I mentioned above, M$ apps do not (and probably never will) work
> in WINE. You would need something like VMware or Win4Lin to use it.
> However, I must ask why you're using FrontPage. The HTML it
> generates is not standards-compliant, and is designed work best in
> IE (this is deliberate). If you design a website with FrontPage
> don't expect it to be viewable in other browsers (especially the
> *nix ones).
************ Well in the harsh world, I never worried - 90% of all
the prospects use I.E.    :-)

> You have mentioned elsewhere that SCREEM is crash-prone. Have you
> tried Quanta+, Bluefish, Mozilla Composer and Amaya? Amaya is great
> to use in conjunction with other HTML creators, since it generates
> 100% standards-compliant code (it's made by the W3C).

**************** Not Amaya. Never heard of it till today.
I sometimes
> make a page in StarOffice (which is pretty-good with HTML) and then
> make minor adjustments in Amaya to make it standards-compliant.

********* STAR OFFICE!!?? I must check it out, then.  But what I miss
are the simple things of life, like packaged so-easy-to-use templates
and built-in scripts............

> > I NEED decent onscreen fonts - I work loong hours on the screen.
>
> The two best things I can suggest here is to import your Windos
> TrueType fonts and use them in apps with anti-aliasing ("font
> smoothing" for Windos users). All QT2 apps (e.g. anything KDE) has
> the potential to use anti-aliasing. Have you tried KOffice? KOffice
> Beta 3 was released about a month ago -- it is supposed to be very
> good. It may not have all the features of StarOffice, OpenOffice
> (BTW, a new OpenOffice build was released a few days ago) or M$
> Word quite yet, but it has been said that most people only use 5%
> of the features of these huge office suites. KOffice has all the
> basics in place.
*********** QT2? Is it a setup procedure to get them to anti-alias?
Also I have imported my Doze fonts but  SOffice can't find them - or
other things for that matter .

> > I NEED GOOD printer output.
>
> IIRC, Lexmark has its own drivers and software for their printers.
> Have you tried the Lexmark web site? LinuxPrinting.org has an entry
> for your Lexmark Z32:
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=317129

********* Yes, I d/ldd the drivers but can't figure out how to get
Star or default to use them. Normal procedure via Drake doesn't seem
to "take".  Unless the Linux drivers are much, much poorer than the
Dozers implementation.

> Try searching MandrakeForum.com for anything by Till Kamppeter
> (Mandrake's resident printing genius :-) ):
>
> http://mandrakeforum.com/search.php?query=&type=stories&section=&to
>pic=&author=Till&days=0&sort=ts.time

> > I NEED a Scanner
>
> I don't know much about GNU/Linux and scanners (I don't have one),
> but I know that SANE (Scanner Access Made Easy) is included in
> Mandrake 8.0:
>
> http://www.mostang.com/sane/

*********** Actually I tracked down a guy with drivers only today via
the SANE Site, but have no idea what his kindly supplied instructions
mean!  A lot of reading/chasing necessary to get "English" (non-geek
) translations.............

> There are many sites that can help with configuring hardware and
> software. Among the best are:
>
> http://www.mandrakeuser.org/ (this should always be your first
> port-of-call) http://www.linuxdoc.org/ (the Linux Documentation
>
> Before you give up and decide on spending that $A160 on a copy of
> Win4Lin (or even more for VMware or something else), try these
> sites out. I have found that together they can answer the vast bulk
> of my own questions.

********* Thanks again, Sridhar, I actually did wander around an
awful lot but this spot here is the most "English" I've found with
people like you!
I really am only safe in a real Newby environment.

It is easy to see why so many people do quit, though, if they have
been in the Doze environment any length of time. It is the sheer
number of alternatives out in linuxland that tend to overwhelm.

In Dozeworld there are thousands of Sites, but all saying exactly the
same thing! In  Linux............  :-)

--
Cheers,

John
http://counter.li.org GO HERE IF YOU SUPPORT LINUX!

Fablor is now Webhosting?? What on earth for??
Info here: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(it's only an Autoresponder)  :-)