Jon,

There's a few things wrong here:

#1.  In order to give access to /var/www/media (which isn't under the
default document root of /var/www/html), you need to either alias it in the
httpd.conf "Alias /media /var/www/media/" (without the quotes), or move it
under /var/www/html.

#2.  The link that you are using is incorrect.  Since apache is using
/var/www/html as the document root, all documents (excluding aliased
directories) are fetched relative to /var/www/html.  This means the link
http://ip_number/var/www/media/file.zip, is in fact attempting to find the
file /var/www/html/var/www/media/file.zip (which isn't there).

The correct link (once you've either aliased or moved the directory as in
#1), would be http://ip_number/media/file.zip

The answer to the question "Is this because of directory permissions?"
would be no, at this point.

Michael

--
Michael Viron