All,

I have a Linux Mandrake (8.0) box with 2 ethernet
cards - one to my ISP, the other to my home network,
where the machines run Windows 98.  The LM8.0 box does
very basic IP masquerading for the other computers.
I've had a wonderfully easy time with it to date, but
now need to reach out to this community for help.

When using NetMeeting on a W98 box, the other party
can hear us OK, but we can't hear them.  However, chat
works fine.  Same thing with MSN messenger: text
chatting works fine, but "Talk" fails to connect.
However, when that W98 box is directly connected to
the cable modem (i.e. not through the Linux box), I
can get sound both ways!  Interestingly, 2 W98 boxes
on the home network communicate great with each other
- sound AND video - even successfully using the
directory to find each other!  So, the only thing that
seems to stop NetMeeting and MSN Messenger sound
working properly appears to be the Linux box.

I have no firewalling in place (I plan to, once I
figure all this out!).  No Bastille running, only 1
rule in iptables - the one to get masquerading going
with NAT.  I also know that the ISP hasn't got a
firewall in place, as I've checked with them (plus it
works directly connected!).

What am I missing?  I assume that all packets in and
out the cable modem are passed through untouched
(other than IP address), so port handling and other
communication details should be handled by the W98
boxes.  Of course, the IP address NetMeeting shows
behind LM8.0 as a 192.168 etc. address, but (not sure
of nomenclature) I understood that iptables changes
that when it does the masquerading?

I've tried putting in port entries in /etc/services as
per various obscure MS "support" pages I've managed to
find.  I've looked at the xinetd man page, but can't
figure out what service I'd need to set up to enable
this.  And as I said, I thought that with
masquerading, packets get passed through unless
there's a rule saying not to.

Any help, guidance, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
 I've been having a great time dusting off my old Unix
skills, but I have to admit that TCP/IP networking is
an area that's a black art to me.  Keen to learn,
though (which is the point, huh!)

Regards,
Ron.