> Paul, excuse me for butting in on this thread, but after hearing so much about
> Mplayer I decided to try it. Went to their website, d/l'ed the source and
> tried to compile it. Got an immediate error message to the effect that I was
> using a bad (2.96) version of gcc. Said to -downgrade- it or upgrade it.
>
> So...how did you get Mplayer to compile? Thanks!
>
> PS I'm using 8.0!

Actually before you start to compile it, there is an option to disable the
GCC checking. I done that, and they will pass the GCC checking, and my
mplayer can work smoothly. I dont know, why the manual say that you should
use GCC 2.96 because it does not support MMX, but in my computer the
mplayer works perfectly, eventhough my GCCis 2.96.

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com