On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:12, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> Willy Sutrisno wrote:
> > Actually before you start to compile it, there is an option to disable
> > the GCC checking. I done that, and they will pass the GCC checking, and
> > my mplayer can work smoothly. I dont know, why the manual say that you
> > should use GCC 2.96 because it does not support MMX, but in my computer
> > the mplayer works perfectly, eventhough my GCCis 2.96.
>
> Hi Willy. I got it now. I went to the mailing list digest on Mandrakes site
> and did a search. Found just what I needed:
>
> ./configure --disable-gcc-checking
>
> I remember that 2.96 was supposed to be a crippled version on a Red Hat
> distro, but while Mandrake has the same version number, I don't think it
> has Red Hats problems.
>
> Somebody correct me on this if I'm wrong!

The Red Hat compiler is totally different from the Mandrake one. Red Hat's
version is not buggy, it is just less forgiving of errors in code. Mandrake's
compiler is rock solid, but is often discriminated against because it has the
same version number as Red Hat's GCC.

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> PS BTW, mplayer's cool, eh? ;-)

Yes indeed. I can get it to play AVI (including DivX) and ASF files that I
can't get working in the (in)famous Windows Media Player (with DivX codecs
installed). This is despite the fact that these files are played using WINE
to emulate Windos DLL files. I can get better video performance for all video
files through MPlayer than I can get in Windows Media Player.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com