Sorry, should have said - mplayer works fine for mpeg video and some
AVI but not for encrypted DVDs using the x11 driver and X 4.0.1.
Decryption _seems_ to work and usually the video_ts.vob file runs,
albeit at breakneck speed (blink and it's gone) but for all other VOBs
it either reports unsupported format or exits immediately with a
segmentation fault after identifying the MPEG2 PS stream.  Anybody
else seen these symptoms?  If it works for other people it can hardly
be a bug, or can it?

As far as AVIs are concerned whether mplayer works or not appears to
depend on the codec (this is all double-Dutch to me).  The .dll files
are all there but some generate segmentation faults: indeo is OK,
Cinepak Video is OK, but not Microsoft Video 1 (cram).  The
DOCS/CODECS file indicates that playing some formats might require
access to the Windows registry for extra data.  Since I do not use
Windows it is not possible to report any useful information to the
authors.

--
Len Lawrence @ The Thistle Foundation