On Saturday 08 September 2001 11:56, richied wrote:
> On September 8, 2001 09:42 am, Siavash Sefidvash wrote:
> > Apologies for sounding naive, but is not fair to get paid for your
> > efforts.?
>
> ...There's actually a bigger issue at stake.  Win XP is actually taking a
> fingerpint of your system.  Your NIC, HDD, CD-ROM, CPU, etc all have unique
> serial numbers and Win XP gathers them all up with your name and address
> and sends them to Redmond, WA so you can get an unlocking code in return
> for your copy of the OS.
>
> While it does guarantee a reduction in piracy is is a flagrant disrespect
> on your privacy, forcing you to divulge information for the sake of using
> an OS you've already paid for!  This is Totalitarianism at its utmost,
> placing to interests of the individual so far beind their own wishes.
>
> Obtaining a hack for Win XP does not necessarily preclude piracy but gives
> one the CHOICE of what information to divulge to the world-at-large.
>
> Of couse, there are lots more choices than that and they begin with
> Mandrake, Red Hat, Debian, Slackware, etc, etc, etc...
>
> Richie

I am actually curious as to how someone without internet access is supposed
to get this unlock code. has microsoft addressed this or are they only going
to make their product availible to those who live in areas that have internet
access? I know that there are huge areas in the southwest that still don't
have internet access.
--
Jennifer
#221463