On Thursday 06 September 2001 23:21, Dr. Evil wrote:
> As far as I know, for most users, there is no use aside from gaming,
> and even for gaming, there are native Linux games, and apparently
> quite a few Windows games run under Wine.  The other exception is that
> there are quite a few applications that can ONLY run on Windows for
> some specific purposes.  Perhaps you need Autocad, or some other
> specific app which is Windows only.
>
> But if you're just an ordinary user who surfs the web, does word
> processing, this kind of thing, you don't need Windows at all.

Actually with a little accessory software the winmodem under windows can make
a dandy answering machine or automated telephone attendant.  If your winmodem
is supported by linmodem.org drivers, though, linux can do it too.  Still, a
phone answering and game machine tucked away in a corner and never connected
to the net running something like 98SE would be worthwhile if you have no
better use for the hardware.

Civileme