        From:   Marcin Jendrzejewski [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent:   Saturday, September 15, 2001 12:34 PM
        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject:        RE: [newbie] Installing software problems

        Erm, Steve Flynn's reply was correct although I felt perhaps a bit
brief
        and lacking in detail in case others are wondering and not sure how
        do it.

        Firstly you'll need to insert your cds, and mount your cdrom ('mount

        /mnt/cdrom' probably -- you may need to be 'root' to do it.)  Then
        you'll need to change to the rpms directory which I think from
memory
        are /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/ .  You might want to check that.  the
'ls'
        command is your friend.  Anyhow, you'll be looking for a .rpm file
along
        the lines of XFree86-devel-something-something.rpm
        I can't remember the specific name but it's something like that,
        just then do
        rpm -ivh Xfree86-devel-something-something.rpm
        You'll probably need to be root to do this.
        You should see something like
        Xfree86-devel   ############################################

        Then go back and compile your package...

         << File: message.footer >>

This email and any files sent with it are intended only for the named
recipient. If you are not the named recipient please telephone/email
the sender immediately. You should not disclose the content or
take/retain/distribute any copies.

Norwich Union Life & Pensions Limited
Registered Office 2 Rougier Street
York YO90 1UU
Registered in England Number 3253947
A member of the Norwich Union Marketing Group
which is regulated by the Personal Investment Authority.
Member of the Association of British Insurers.

For further Enquires 01603 622200