On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 19:37, al-hassan jagne wrote:
> How do I install a software on Mandrake 9? I am a brand new user and I
> cannot figure out how to install any software or programs. I have a cd with
> slackware and other programs that I cannot install into Linux. I am getting
> frustrated, but I dont want to give up, so someone help me.
> Thanks.

Well, installation depends on the distribution or package format.

If your program comes as a RPM then you need to go "rpm -ivh
<package-name.rpm>" (no quotes and no <> signs).

If you have the source RPM (RPMS), then you have to do a
rpm --rebuild <package-name-source.rpms>.

If you have the program as a tarball (*.tar.gz) then you should go with
tar -zxvf package-name.tar.gz
cd /to/directory/where/extracted
and follow the instruction usually given in a README file or INSTALL
file.

Finally, if you got an installer (like Acrobat Reader or
netscape-installer) follow their instructions :-)

HTH

Adolfo