If your computer is connected to the internet by some means external to
itself... You could use the "network.img" disk (which you can download)
to install from the internet...

But this is going to take a long time.

I'd spring for the CD's or download and burn your own.

BTW: Your CD is probably not working because of an erroneous /dev/cdrom
link...

Type "dmesg | more" and look to see what Linux sees your CD as.

Then you'll need to fix the /dev/cdrom link to point to the right
device.

-JMS